Turbo diesel is the term for any diesel engine that is equipped with a turbo charger. The process of turbo charging is common in truck and modern car diesel engines and is used to produce lower levels of emissions, higher power outputs and improved efficiency from the similar capacity of engines. The Turbo system insures higher cost efficiency and increases its productivity. Turbo diesels present in automobiles are used to provide refinement at higher level than their counterparts which are naturally aspirated. Although installing a diesel turbo charger may seem an easy task, there are certain things that we can do that would lead to premature failures.
Things to Keep in Mind When Installing A Diesel Turbo
- Checking Passages: It is important to check the exhaust and intake passages for trash and debris that include fragments or metal shavings. This is important because small amount of debris can cause sincere damage to the great speed of the assembly of the rotor.
- Replacement: It is important to replace all the seals, gaskets and O-rings with their respective replacements as these items are most of the times included with a remaining diesel turbo and a new one. The gasket sealer on being used can lead to blockage of flow and failure due to its absence of lubrication. Filling the oil inlet- It is important to fill the oil inlet of the diesel turbo charger using clean oil for engine until it reaches to the level where it overflows. This ensures the lubrication of the turbo charger at the first instance.
- Cranking the Engine: Before the outlet of the oil tube is connected, it is important to crank up the engine without firing and not stopping before an oil stream is found to be flowing from the outlet of the oil.
- The Angle of The Oil Outlet: The outlet of the oil should be kept at an angle not more than 20 degrees from the center at the bottom in both the directions.
- Idling of The Engine: After the installation process is over, the engine needs to be idled for at least four to five minutes. This step is necessary to flush out any contamination present from the center housing before loading the application. This also ensures proper lubrication of the engine before any load.
- Tightening of Clamps: When the order of orientation of housing is being changed, the clamps that retain the bolts have to be tightened to a certain value of the torque. Before tightening, the mating surfaces between the compressor or the Turbine housing and the bearing housing, needs to be checked. It is important to keep a proper surface mating as it prevents boosting of pressure or prevents the leaking of exhaust pressures externally.
Besides keeping in mind, the given guidelines, the other thing that has to be mastered is time adjustment of the diesel turbo charger that will help in bringing improvements and also help in fixing any power shortage, which is characterized by excess emission of smoke from the tail pipe when a sudden loss of power occurs. Overall turbo charger improves the performance and efficiency of a vehicle.
These days’ trucks and completely new cars are equipped with diesel turbo engine which is capable of being tuned towards a brief input of electricity with almost negligible smoke. But adjustments should be made in such a way that the engine stocks up on mileage and so can be accomplished by adjusting the pump in such a manner that it increases the fuel flow inside the chamber of combustion that produces power. The steps include warming up, installing the luminosity probe connecting the vehicle battery to the meter, checking the timing that is existing, adjusting the timing of the engine followed by observing and assessing the entire process.